Thomson Retirement Accounts Division Attorney
When service members are considering or going through a divorce, the subject of military retirement benefits often comes up. If you are in the military and you are concerned about what will happen to your retirement if you get divorced, we can help you plan what to do next. By the same token, if your spouse or ex-spouse is in the armed forces, we can help you understand what rights and entitlements you may have.
At Shawn P. Hammond and Associates, our lawyers have helped hundreds of service members navigate the challenges presented by divorce.
Reaching Fair Agreements, Protecting Our Clients' Rights
As experienced military divorce attorneys, our job is to help our clients reach fair agreements that protect their rights, provide for their children and enable them to safeguard their retirement. We are extremely knowledgeable regarding military programs and Georgia laws that pertain to:
- Asset division in divorce
- Retirement benefits, which may be shared with an ex-spouse depending on the length of the marriage and the length of service
- DEERS reporting requirements that relate to divorce, including details regarding dependents
- TRICARE health benefits, including TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Plus, TRICARE standard and TRICARE reserve select
- CHAMPVA health benefits
- The possibility that your spouse may waive his or her share of your retirement benefits
Augusta Military Benefits Division Attorney
Shawn P. Hammond and Associates can help you with your military divorce matter and your questions about eligibility for benefit programs. In addition to having an excellent understanding of Georgia family law and a history of success in court, attorney Shawn Hammond is a 25-year military veteran with extensive knowledge of military issues that relate to divorce and finances. Mr. Hammond has himself been deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq, so he understands the challenges of active duty.