Mr. Hammond served
in Afghanistan and Iraq,
where he received 9 medals including a Bronze Star and Combat Infantryman’s Badge. He has been practicing law since 1996 with an exclusive focus on military law, criminal law, and family law.

Augusta Grandparent Custody Lawyer

Thomson Grandchild Adoption Attorney

Most people will agree that it is important for grandparents to spend time with their grandchildren. In some cases, though, Georgia courts award custody rights to grandparents, particularly when both of a child’s parents are deceased or when neither parent is able to provide an appropriate level of care because of substance abuse, mental health issues or other reasons.

When Georgia courts consider granting child custody to grandparents, they consider the “best interests of the child.” The best interests test consists of several factors, including the physical and emotional health of the child and the ability of available caregivers to ensure the child’s safety and welfare. Courts also can consider the wishes of the children and their relationship with their grandparents.

Protecting Grandparents’ Rights With Strong Legal Representation

If you are a grandparent seeking custody of your grandchild or grandchildren, the attorneys of Shawn P. Hammond and Associates can help. In situations where children’s needs will be best met by their grandparents, our attorneys can represent you in important legal matters that include:

  • Petitioning a court for temporary custody
  • Gaining legal custodianship or legal guardianship
  • Termination of parental rights
  • Private deprivation actions to have children removed from a parent’s home and placed in a grandparent’s custody
  • Grandparent adoptions that make custody arrangements permanent

We are experienced in handling all proceedings on behalf of grandparents and other relatives who are seeking custody of children. Our lawyers possess excellent legal knowledge and extensive courtroom experience in all types of family law and custodial matters.

Contact an Augusta Grandparent Custody Attorney

At Shawn P. Hammond and Associates, we can advocate for you in seeking what is best for the children in your life. Contact us for assistance.